Thursday, April 14, 2011

America in the ER

So this is my first attempt at blogging.  I am a practicing Emergency Medicine Physician with 22 years of experience.  I practice at a large volume urban/suburban hospital somewhere in the Midwest.  I decided to start my blog because it amazes me how little people know about what is really going on in the ER's across our country.  Every day I am constantly amazed myself.  I have been witness to some wonderful things... compassion, caring, healing etc.  However, what has become more frequent is the unravelling of our society. The ER is no longer a place to seek life-saving care, although this does happen from time-to-time.  It is now the place to try and get narcotics, the place to go when you call your doctor for an appointment and all you get is "go to the ER"and of coarse the place to go for the uninsured or if your fibromyalgia is "flaring up".
     I hope to try and share a little slice of the typical day in a typical ER in the heart of America so those who follow this blog will be able to become educated and motivated to bring about some change.  I'm talking about change in many areas.  Healthcare reform, malpractice reform, realizing this country has a huge drug problem, medicare/medicaid waste and abuse just to name a few.
     I will never make things up or embellish the stories of the day.  I will only post the events of the day as they happen; good or bad.
     So a little preview from today.  I learned something today that just dawned on me today after years of practicing.  I learned that all these fertility clinics are a waste of time and money.  I learned the easiest way to get pregnant is to get a Medicaid card!  You will be pregnant within a month of receiving your card guaranteed ( and with many more pregnancies to follow).
     Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment